Navigation image Click here to return to the welcome page Return to the welcome page Click here to see a list of Magna Carta's recorded works Click to see list of forthcoming events See the Guest Book, and make a contribution Hear some clips from the band's albums Click here to see articles written about and by the Band Click to see the story of Magna Carta Click here to see biographies of Chris, Linda, & friends Thanks to all who have made this web site possible Click here to see the Notice Board Click here to see our privacy policy Click to find the Magna Carta management and adminstration details See the site's Hit Count statistics See a photograph of Harvey Sprout

Current page: Concert Diary 2007

Current page: Concert Diary 2007

Concert Diary 2007

Radio Soest, Soest - 11th May

Matt Barnhoorn writes - It was 3am when we got in. We were all wrung out. I hope it looks easy when we're on stage - but I can assure you that it is hard work both mentally and emotionally, it is also physically demanding when you work out the hours involved from setting off to getting home and the fact that we are working in the evening.

We're not complaining - I'm just trying to set the scene because at 3am we had to set our alarm clocks for 7:45 in order to get up and do an interview at Radio Soest between 9 and 10 the next morning.

Linda and I woke up at 08.00 am. We tried to be very quiet, to give Chris some more sleep.

About 40 minutes later, the show was on the road again. Chris asked whether we should bring Doris or not, I thought I knew where the radio station was, so we decided not to.

Whatever Chris says about my navigation skills… he is right. I am not the world's best navigator. In a nutshell: we arrived at some traffic lights. Chris wanted to turn right, I thought we had to go right at a roundabout. The next roundabout was a couple of miles away and when we turned right we stood in the middle of an industrial estate. WOOPS!!! Altogether it meant that we had to go all the way back and we'd probably be late at the radio station, I bet Chris was pleased with this new ammunition.

Life's hard on the road

We rolled up at the radio station 10 minutes late. By this time it was chucking it down. As we came to the front door, we couldn't help but notice that it was locked. We tried ringing the bell for about 10 minutes - no answer.

By this time we were starting to worry a bit, particularly as we didn't have the phone number on us.

The radio station of Radio Soest is situated in the basement of the Local Council Building. I thought it would be a good idea to drop in there to ask if they'd have the phone number. They did. The lovely and very helpful receptionist gave the studio a ring.

Meanwhile at the door of the studio, Chris and Linda were getting rather wet.

Luckily a man came to the door (later it became clear that he was a local councillor and guest in the radio show we were about to appear on). "Yes?" he said - looking rather puzzled. "Magna Carta," replied Chris. "Who????" answered the man. It took off from there.

When I came back to the studio, Linda was waiting for me at the door to let me in.

Chris went downstairs and was told he could get a cup of coffee. As he walked to the cantina and found the coffee pot, he found that it was empty. With the lack off sleep we had and the situations we've been in, we only could laugh about it.

The interview was no better.

We had a nice chat with Jean about the spring tour and the other tours that are coming up. Then Chris told the whole story of all the things that were against us this morning. After this great lecture of odds, but very true situations: my mistake, the wet minutes in front of the radio station, the door being opened by a guest of the radio show, the lack of coffee. Funnily enough Jean's translation in Dutch was (quite) the opposite of the version that was given by Chris. We cackled.

After the show we had a nice cup of coffee with Jean and Maurice (the technician). Jean and Chris swapped the odd tale and we agreed that we had to have a night out together.

Soon it was time to go. Back at the cabin Linda and I lost no time in falling back into bed, not together I hasten to add, while Chris took our vehicle to the garage. We've had a few problems with the socket we use for the mobile 'hands free' and there was also a bit of a problem with the plastic guard over the back door handle. Anyway - they needed fixing and so Chris was heading for the garage to get it sorted. By the time he got back we were spark out so he too got back into bed for a bit of a snooze.

Left Arrow Assen concert Gorinchem concert Right Arrow