Navigation image Click here to return to the welcome page Return to the welcome page Click here to see a list of Magna Carta's recorded works Click to see list of forthcoming events See the Guest Book, and make a contribution Hear some clips from the band's albums Click here to see articles written about and by the Band Click to see the story of Magna Carta Click here to see biographies of Chris, Linda, & friends Thanks to all who have made this web site possible Click here to see the Notice Board Click here to see our privacy policy Click to find the Magna Carta management and adminstration details See the site's Hit Count statistics See a photograph of Harvey Sprout

Current page: Concert Diary 2007

Current page: Concert Diary 2007

Concert Diary 2007

De Gruitpoort,Doetinchem - 12th October 2007

Matt Barnhoorn writes - Hello Everybody,

Again a little note for the Tour Diary in Dunglish...

The last one I wrote in South Africa, sitting in Arlyn's room with the CD of Harris Tweed on (I think they are great!) and now I'm sitting in a cosy cabin in the woods near Soest.

It's quite hard coming back and finding yourself in a different world again. Linda and I have been very busy doing some promotion work for SA (basically telling everybody who wants to know - and also the ones who don't want to know - how amazing it is).

Matt - photograph taken by his proud father

Paul Culwick, our wonderful friend in Johannesburg, sent some pictures over which I've just looked at and I must admit, as soon as I've found the money and time, I'm going back!

Anyway, we're on the Dutch tour now and I don't want funny looks from my fellow Dutchmen - it's not too bad here... but it's just not South Africa!

Right, I've just read Simpson's write-up and he forgot to mention one major event, during our performance in IJmuiden, the other night (I think he must have felt embarrassed).

Last year when we played the Witte Theatre, Linda and I had a discussion with the audience. The subject was: who's got the best peanut butter; the English or the Dutch? Linda really put her foot in it and declared that nothing could beat the English peanut butter. Me and my fellow Dutchmen thought she missed out a fact, namely that only the Dutch peanut butter is (slightly) better then the English.

To cut a long story short, we decided that as soon as we came back to the Witte Theatre, we would have a test: Dutch peanut butter vs. English peanut butter.

We kept our word. The morning of that very concert I took the bike, got little crackers and Dutch peanut butter at the local supermarket. Linda had brought stacks of English peanut butter, so that was sorted too.

In the interval we found ourselves slaving away over trays of crackers and peanut butter. When we were halfway through the second set we stopped the music and got the trays out. Unfortunately we couldn't bring enough to feet the entire audience - luckily not everybody is a fan of peanut butter. Linda and I had tortured our brains to come out with a very complex system to keep the Dutch and English peanut butter apart… By this time, Chris was sitting back and enjoying Magna Carta's 'the feeding of the 150'.

At last the moment of truth was there… voting time. Everybody was asked to raise their hands to either the square crackers (Dutch) or the round ones (English).

What we discussed last year, became fact… the Dutch peanut butter WON!!! Whoopy!

The only thing is, we're stuffed with lots of English peanut butter now, as Linda brought some extra jars, in case people would fall in love with it.

Ah well, as an international peanut butter lover, I'm not complaining.

That was a little story aside.

Linda with her mouth full - photograph by Mr. Barnhoorn

Yesterday night we did a concert in Doetinchem, the place where I got my degree of teacher primary school.

Previous to this concert we had several days off and I had decided to spend some of those days back at my parents house. It was great seeing them again (I only had two days with them in between the SA-tour and the Dutch tour, so we finally got some proper time to catch up).

In the afternoon my Dad and I drove to the theatre to arrive a little before sound check time. At the car park next to the theatre there was a car slowly rolling towards us… when it got closer I recognised the famous Harry Pater, our press officer for Holland. It was great seeing his smiley face again, as it has been quite a while since last.

Shortly after that my phone rang, it was Linda. In a sort of squeaky way she said: "Matty, we got sort of lost. We're facing the cinema - now what?". (Dorris has given up the ghost for now, so they had to work out their way to the theatre the 'old fashioned' way - with a map)

Everybody from the surroundings of Doetinchem knows that the parking for the Gruitpoort Theatre is a funny arrangement. Our ploy to fool everybody who doesn't know that, worked again!

I walked towards the traffic lights where Chris and Linda were standing and we got visual contact. Linda and I decided to swap places, so she could walk into the theatre and I would guide Chris to the artist entry.

When the next set of traffic lights turned red Linda rushed out, whilst I tried to squeak in - our plan worked. Linda made it safely across and I got in the 4-track.

Skilfully Chris drove Susie (the 4-track) to the entrance, where Antoine, the sound/light engineer for the night, welcomed us.

We unloaded the vehicle, had a cup of coffee together (to be joined by Jet a few moments later, did she sensed the coffee?) and set up the stage.

The sound check went a bit funny, as there was a buzz on a lot of the lines. We couldn't figure what caused it and it took us until 8 o'clock to sort out a way to get a workable sound. Antoine deeply apologized for the fact that the theatre sound system caused such problems. Well, sometimes it happens.

Luckily nobody lost his or her temper and we got at least some sound in the end.

We only had about 10 minutes to have a bite of our pizzas, which were running cold in the dressing room. After that we got changed and tried to calm down for a minute.

Antoine gave the '5-minute-signal' and I took those 5 minutes to sneak out and say 'hi' to Merel, the wonderful organizer of the theatre.

Given that the sound wasn't ideal, I think we did a pretty good job. The audience was lovely and it contained a lot of familiar faces: from friends and fans right through to neighbours, an old classmate and two teachers of mine. Great!

Linda introduced a new song ('Last Man Standing') to start the second set with. As we never have done an entire run-through it was quite exciting where we would end (and if we would end together)… but we did it!

And succeeded according to the reaction of the audience.

Not long after the new song it was 'Backroads'-time… Chris gave me another of his ongoing and at some places embarrassing announcement - including reminders of our last gig in SA (Sorry Lil, half of Holland knows about it already!) - and off we went.

My leaping about was shortly followed by a funny noise and when I looked I saw that my trousers were torn (not in the place Chris hoped it would - it was my knee).

My leaps got rewarded with a shawl, followed by the words: 'You're not getting my knickers, but you can have this!' Unfortunately I never got the chance to say thank you - so I'd like to take this opportunity: Thank you very much for the shawl! I'll look after it.

We hammered down our set list, did a firing version of 'Paradise Row' and got to do 'Two Old Friends' for an encore. After that we had a very nice time meeting lovely people in the foyer. The hours seemed to slip away and all to soon it was time to say thank you and goodbye to the remaining people, amongst others Merel and Antoine.

The three of us set off in the direction of Borculo, where we were to stay the night at my parents' house.

We had some last pieces of pizza, accompanied by some drinks, and wound down until we finally headed bedwards.

Our audience
Left Arrow IJmuiden, Holland Huizen, Holland Right Arrow